Kill the Muffin-Top!

The trials and tribulations of my journey to a healthy lifestyle and weight loss.

Friday, February 03, 2006

"Tales From the Scale"

My copy of "Tales From the Scale" by Erin Shea just arrived, a day late but at least it's here! My eager curiosity made me take a peek and read a few pages. BAM! It was like opening a flood gate of emotions for me. A-HA! I know exactly what the authors felt when they wrote the words. I love the reference to "BigGirl Town". I live there, and have for the past several years. But I didn't always reside there...I grew up in "Hot Chick City". I really did! Growing up I was always slender (but curvy) and never had a problem turning heads when I walked into a room. And my shy at first, sweet personality really closed the deal. I IN NO WAY AM VAIN, NOR HAVE I EVER BEEN. But now I can look back at the past and admit that I was attractive, once upon a time. I never could admit that too myself in the past (that would've been too pompus). Isn't there an "Attractive Woman Suburb" I can move to?!

I want to be able to look good in a pair of shorts and a tank top. That's what I really want. I used to ache to be a bikini beach babe; honey, those days are gone! I'll be 35 in 2 weeks and I've given birth. I got fat and out of shape. So even if/when I reach my weight goals, I will never be a beach bunny. And I just realized for the first time today that IT'S OKAY. I shouldn't be trying to erase time and long for what I once had - or didn't have, as the case may be. I need to find a place where my mature, adult self can reside comfortably. Guess I'll take down my old bikini which has been mounted on my wall for the past 6+ months as a "gentle reminder" of where I want to be. Maybe I should add "Tales From the Scale" to my coffee table as a gentle reminder instead?

I can't wait to get home tonight and curl up with this good book. I look forward to getting on that treadmill and making things happen. The women in this book are such an inspiration to all...if they can do it, I can do it. Nobody said it would be easy but it sure will be worth the effort.

I want to become one of those "she must be obsessed" women we all see around town...the ones who make daily exercise a top priority in their lives despite their marital status, the number of hours they work or the number of kids they may have. You know the type...they're out there in the dead of winter power-walking as we sit curled up in front of the TV with a box of Little Debbie snack cakes. In the summer they're out there with all the little ones in tow, pushing what seems to be a 150 lb. stoller filled with kids and they're pounding away, effortlessly. I WANT to be one of those women! I want to eat healthy, natural foods without giving it a second thought; I want it to be second nature, not aching for McDonald's to be the primary food supplier in the family. I want to scoff at the thought of taking the elevator at work (I work on the SECOND floor - how pathetic is it that I take the elevator up & down every day!?!) I want these things. And I can have these things. All I need to do is....well, just DO IT!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home